Author Topic: Orange Cotyledon Peas  (Read 114 times)

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Orange Cotyledon Peas
« on: 2019-04-11, 06:31:11 PM »
Is anyone interested in Peas that have orange cotyledons like red lentils? If so, i'm growing them again this year. There is some talk that they might be healthier and provide more beta carotine. But there is some debate whether the beta carotine provided can be used by the human body. Regardless though they seem pretty interesting. Well worth investigating or incorporating into a breeding project ;)

Walt

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Orange Cotyledon Peas
« Reply #1 on: 2019-04-11, 06:53:09 PM »
Can the orange cotyledon vs. green cotyledon be used to be sure you have a cross?  If so, I'm interested.  My hands and eyes don't do like they used to, and I need clues like that to know I've made a cross.  Just like I need spell check to type.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Orange Cotyledon Peas
« Reply #2 on: 2019-04-11, 09:51:44 PM »
Can the orange cotyledon vs. green cotyledon be used to be sure you have a cross?  If so, I'm interested.  My hands and eyes don't do like they used to, and I need clues like that to know I've made a cross.  Just like I need spell check to type.

Possibly. According to the gene chart i made on the Pea Database Collaboration Project (https://openwetware.org/wiki/Pea_Database_Collaboration_Project/Pea_Genetics) says that the Orc gene is Semi-Dominant. I think that would mean in a cross the cotyledons would still be orange, but a light orange. But since green coteleydons are recessive anyway i'm fairly sure a cross with a yellow or white would be yellow or white. Assuming your mother plant had green seeds then i think that would also let you know you had a cross.