Author Topic: Orange Cauliflower CMS  (Read 95 times)

triffid

• South East England 50.8°N
    • View Profile
    • Email
Orange Cauliflower CMS
« on: 2019-04-10, 11:42:00 PM »
I'd like to start working on an op orange cauliflower, but it would appear Sunset F1 and Cheddar F1 carry CMS. Are there any orange cauliflower varieties without this trait?

Klaus Brugger

• View Profile
Re: Orange Cauliflower CMS
« Reply #1 on: 2019-04-14, 03:44:47 AM »
That's an interesting question. One thing is that you want the Orange mutation heterozygous (Or/or) in order to get nice large curds (compare LU et al. 2006), so you'll only find hybrid cultivars. It's a rather new mutant and professor Michael Dickson, who sadly passed away last year, started breeding work with it in the 1980s. I'm not sure if a non-CMS cultivar ever made it to the market. The best thing probably would be to work with homozygous mutant line 1227, but I'm not sure how to track that one down.

SHAN LU, JOYCE VAN ECK, XIANGJUN ZHOU, ALEX B. LOPEZ, DIANA M. O'HALLORAN, KELLY M. COSMAN, BRIAN J. CONLIN, DOMINICK J. PAOLILLO, DAVID F. GARVIN, JULIA VREBALOV, LEON V. KOCHIAN, HENDRIK KÜPPER, ELIZABETH D. EARLE, JUN CAO, and LI LI (2006): The Cauliflower Or Gene Encodes a DnaJ Cysteine-Rich Domain-Containing Protein That Mediates High Levels of β-Carotene Accumulation. The Plant Cell, 18(12), 3594-3605. https://doi.org/10.1105/tpc.106.046417

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-04-15, 09:39:45 AM »
According to a seed company website, the orange mutant was discovered in Canada in 1970 and sent to Cornell where it was bred with white cauliflowers.  I searched GRIN in both the US and Canada to see if either of them have seeds, but I couldn't find any.

Cornucopia II, published in 1998, lists two orange cauliflowers, the hybrid Orange Bouquet, which is still available, and the OP Marmalade which was available from Bountiful Gardens in California and the Henry Doubleday Research Association in England.  Bountiful Gardens stopped selling seeds last year.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

triffid

• South East England 50.8°N
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-04-15, 12:05:58 PM »
Thank you both for your help! Looks like I'll need to do a more in-depth search. I'll check with the HDRA regarding 'Marmalade'.

Woody Gardener

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-04-16, 07:12:39 AM »
Urban Farmer has another F1 orange cauliflower.
https://www.ufseeds.com/product/orange-dream-cauliflower-seeds/