Author Topic: Miner's Lettuce  (Read 563 times)

William S.

• View Profile
Miner's Lettuce
« on: 2019-04-07, 06:01:38 PM »
My Miner's lettuce is back up. I think I noticed both the Claytonia perfoliata and Claytonia rubra. What is more I got some coming back up where I planted the new packet of perfoliata last year.

I also dug up four plants at my sister's place in Washington state. Two that looked rubra and two that were greener. Should be a different rubra variation though.

Still don't have any of the third species or any known hybrids in the mix.

Since this is a new thread my goal here is to collect all three species and some of the additional within species diversity. Then also either collect or allow to reform some of the hybrids. Miners lettuce has much more to offer than what's currently on the market.

Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

spacecase0

• View Profile
Re: Miner's Lettuce
« Reply #1 on: 2019-04-07, 09:27:45 PM »
I had no idea there were 3 of them
I live in the 93614 area and have it growing all over
looks like mine are likely Claytonia perfoliata
I can send you seeds in a month or two as they are flowering now.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-03-25, 06:45:49 PM »
Their was a big germination event for Calindrinia ciliata in my Claytonia patch last fall. It's almost gone now, looks like it can't stick the landing in a dry march.

What is surviving seems to be the local ecotype and only the local ecotype of Claytonia rubra which is a conspicuously short type. Consulting Lesica 2012 it may be variety depressa. Do the leaves look spatulate or deltoid to you?
« Last Edit: 2020-03-25, 06:50:35 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2020-04-25, 09:37:34 PM »
I spotted a different Claytonia. Just one and it came close to the rototiller. Quite small and already blooming.

We got about a half inch of rain. I think I spotted a couple new germinates of Calindrinia. The fall flush of germinates made it almost all the way through the winter. Then died during the march dry spell. Thought a few would make it, but no.

spacecase0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-04-26, 08:57:55 PM »
did I ever send you seeds ?
I remember collecting them for you, but no memory of sending them.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-04-26, 09:35:41 PM »
No but that's ok. I had perfoliata already. It's the third species I never got my hands on. Claytonia parviflora. Though as a grex project right now it's a bit of a dud. I have one tiny surviving plant of either the more common rubra ssp. Or one perfoliata. The rest are all the local super low growing subspecies of rubra. Interesting though.

Zach E.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2020-06-19, 10:26:12 AM »
Very cool. Here on the northern edge of the southeastern US bioregion, I have a few patches of self-sowing Claytonia perfoliata. Seems to do just fine here in our climate. Do you have any advice for seed storage? Can they be dried and retain viability?

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2020-06-20, 07:43:54 AM »
No advice on seed storage! I've wild collected some that did not germinate at least not on my schedule! It does best for me just allowed to reseed themselves. Mine have ripe seed at the moment and about five late germinating plants of perfoliata have reappeared. I need to pick some seed.

spacecase0

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2020-06-20, 06:17:42 PM »
Very cool. Here on the northern edge of the southeastern US bioregion, I have a few patches of self-sowing Claytonia perfoliata. Seems to do just fine here in our climate. Do you have any advice for seed storage? Can they be dried and retain viability?
they sit around on my sidewalk dry all summer and still germinate.
no rain for many months all summer here and everything dries out,
so am am very sure they can dry out and remain viable.