Author Topic: Dahlias and other edible flowers  (Read 1091 times)

Doro

• Värmland, Sweden
    • View Profile
Re: Dahlias and other edible flowers
« Reply #30 on: 2019-08-17, 05:00:16 AM »
It's my favourite one too. The pale yellow with the deep brick red is a great combination.
Oddly enough the plain white one is my second favourite. It's towering over a bunch of variegated Nasturtiums, which was a really nice display combination all summer.

All pictured flowers are from my seed of last year. I did not give them names yet... I'm rubbish at naming things and usually avoid it as long as possible. My cats are named Mr. and Mrs. Cat hahaha that's the level of my naming skills...
The seeds were taken from Teesebrook Audrey and Pooh. I still have Audrey but the roots of Pooh and all other varieties I grew last year rotted in winter storage. My root cellar is too humid for good storage of Dahlias.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Dahlias and other edible flowers
« Reply #31 on: 2019-09-04, 10:02:02 AM »
Dug up 1/2 a dozen more plats that were under performing in growth and bloom and pleasantly surprised by size of roots. One especially had a nice clump of roots about the shape and a little bigger than chicken eggs. Even more pleasantly surprised by flavor, much diversity in there, one was quite sweet a little like honey and one a lot like carrot. They didn't have the expected peppery flavor that I found in those I grew last year from Joseph's seeds. All had a hint of perfume flavor that kind of lingers, a little off-putting but not awful.  I just sampled them raw, they were all crunchy and juicy, not fibrous at all.

Got about thirty or so left that look great and blooming nicely, anxious to see how they taste but will leave them till frost to find out.