Author Topic: Colorado Red Seeded Citron Melon x Watermelon Hybrids  (Read 1712 times)

Gilbert Fritz

• View Profile
Re: Colorado Red Seeded Citron Melon x Watermelon Hybrids
« Reply #30 on: 2019-02-21, 09:32:25 AM »
Those citron patterns look like the patterns I got in my patch.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: 2019-03-02, 08:29:59 PM »
Sounds like a good plan.  Were you also growing those tiny tomato sized watermelon seeds? How are those watermelons doing?

S.Simonsen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: 2019-03-03, 01:44:19 AM »
The janosik are pretty small seeded but I didn't have any on hand with smaller seed. I am happy with the seed sizes I have as I prefer to spit seeds out and larger ones are easier to manage.

Andrew Barney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: 2019-04-27, 09:38:41 AM »
Planted out my watermelons and hybrids for this season! I think Simon or someone from Australia sent me some janosik or citron seeds that I seem to have misplaced. (Sorry about that! Please send them again!). But otherwise should be an interesting year!

I didn't water them. Just planted seeds.  But forecast says it will rain and snow and sleet and rain the next 4 days,  and it's been super hot here lately.  So I expect them to come up fast when they want to and do well.

I decided to plant them in "hills" this year and try not to over crowd them. About 8 seeds per hill. I may thin them out if I decide to.

This is my list:
Andrews land race (domestic)
"Sugar water"
Yellow-sweet-bitter (flesh)
1st yellowish flesh hyb.
2nd yellowish flesh hyb.
Yellow spot 1(rind)
Yellow spot 2 (rind)
Yellow-when-ripe hyb. (Rind)
Gold-in-gold domestic
Good? Orange-fleshed (domestic)
Andrew's land race (domestic)

26 pound watermelon (gilbert)

Long Yellow (Joseph's yellow fleshed Charleston grey)
« Last Edit: 2019-04-27, 09:43:20 AM by Andrew Barney »

Andrew Barney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: 2019-05-03, 08:12:30 AM »
I tried adding this project to the experimental farm network. So feel free to join it there if your involved and want to join it there!

https://www.experimentalfarmnetwork.org/group/24

Dominic J

• View Profile
    • Lochaber Experimental Hopyard
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: 2019-05-26, 06:04:30 AM »
Me and a few other locals are starting a participatory plant breeding project to develop two new watermelon varieites. One of the target varieties would  be a citron cross, so I'd love to participate! I got some citron seeds from GRIN, but they don't seem very red (do they lose color with age?) but starting with selected specimens would probably be even better. I'm in Canada, so we are also crossing that with small short-season varieties and cold resistant germplasm.

Andrew Barney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: 2019-05-26, 08:13:06 AM »
Me and a few other locals are starting a participatory plant breeding project to develop two new watermelon varieites. One of the target varieties would  be a citron cross, so I'd love to participate! I got some citron seeds from GRIN, but they don't seem very red (do they lose color with age?) but starting with selected specimens would probably be even better. I'm in Canada, so we are also crossing that with small short-season varieties and cold resistant germplasm.

Cool! Yeah send me a PM or email with your address and I'll send you some F3 / bee pollinated back cross seeds! I have plenty to share. Red seeds do seem to fade over time, but I also have seed variability between different red seeded varieties. I have yet to see red seeds reemerge as black is very dominant.