Author Topic: Colorado Red Seeded Citron Melon x Watermelon Hybrids  (Read 299 times)

S.Simonsen

• View Profile
Re: Colorado Red Seeded Citron Melon x Watermelon Hybrids
« Reply #15 on: 2018-10-20, 10:30:34 PM »
I am so excited to see someone else has already gotten into this project idea. I have wanted to do it for ages and have only previously completed a watermelon variety trial focusing on heritage yellow and orange fleshed varieties. I found a really interesting variety called Janosik with golden flesh that reminds me of some of your hybrids shown above with citron genetics. It has a much firmer flesh and milder sweetness than normal watermelons that I really like, plus a difficult to describe leafy aromatic flavour to it that I love. It is going to be the core of my future melon breeding work.

We also have a local old variety called a jam melon, basically a kind of citron that was grown in Australia long ago. I have seeds started of that this year, plus a red seeded citron and a hardy strain of cuban watermelon that looks to have citron genetics as well. The plan is to cross my janosik seed that wildly outcrossed with a dozen or so other yellow/orange flesh watermelon varieties with a small number of citron strains this year and work from there.

We are in the subtropics so cold weather isn't a big problem but our soil here is mostly clay so not ideal for watermelons. I am hoping the citron genetics will help restore some root system vigor to my melons.

I am also interested in the possibility of selecting for edible seeds. I have recently started roasting gourd and pumpkin seed for consumption and I am amazed that people throw away the most fat and protein rich part of the fruit in most cases. Watermelons bred for large edible seed exist in the Middle East but I have never seen any material in circulation. I would love to come up with a vigorous citron hybrid with reasonable flesh and excellent seeds for roasting personally.

Let me know if there is any chance of swapping material with you. I still have some pure Janosik seed in the fridge if you want to try some of them, and you are welcome to have some of my wide Janosik outcrossed seed as well if you just want a big grab of genetic diversity to try.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2018-10-20, 10:46:48 PM »
I am so excited to see someone else has already gotten into this project idea. I have wanted to do it for ages and have only previously completed a watermelon variety trial focusing on heritage yellow and orange fleshed varieties. I found a really interesting variety called Janosik with golden flesh that reminds me of some of your hybrids shown above with citron genetics. It has a much firmer flesh and milder sweetness than normal watermelons that I really like, plus a difficult to describe leafy aromatic flavour to it that I love. It is going to be the core of my future melon breeding work.

We also have a local old variety called a jam melon, basically a kind of citron that was grown in Australia long ago. I have seeds started of that this year, plus a red seeded citron and a hardy strain of cuban watermelon that looks to have citron genetics as well. The plan is to cross my janosik seed that wildly outcrossed with a dozen or so other yellow/orange flesh watermelon varieties with a small number of citron strains this year and work from there.

We are in the subtropics so cold weather isn't a big problem but our soil here is mostly clay so not ideal for watermelons. I am hoping the citron genetics will help restore some root system vigor to my melons.

I am also interested in the possibility of selecting for edible seeds. I have recently started roasting gourd and pumpkin seed for consumption and I am amazed that people throw away the most fat and protein rich part of the fruit in most cases. Watermelons bred for large edible seed exist in the Middle East but I have never seen any material in circulation. I would love to come up with a vigorous citron hybrid with reasonable flesh and excellent seeds for roasting personally.

Let me know if there is any chance of swapping material with you. I still have some pure Janosik seed in the fridge if you want to try some of them, and you are welcome to have some of my wide Janosik outcrossed seed as well if you just want a big grab of genetic diversity to try.

Oh thanks! I'm excited that someone else is excited about my project and it's cool to hear about someone else basically starting a very similar project! and on the other side of the globe no less!

Yes, we have a decent amount of clay soil here and already i think I've seen some more vigorous genetics from the citrons for that particular soil type that i really like. I also suspect they have good genetics for sourcing rare nutrients like calcium or whatever, whearas some domestic watermelons would need heavy fertilizer to do well in the same conditions.

Yeah, i might be interested to collaborate, sounds like fun. If nothing else we can bounce ideas off each other and share progress reports.

S.Simonsen

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2018-10-20, 10:55:07 PM »
That is so great to hear. I am setting up my farm around zero-input agriculture, selecting crops that grow on our local unremarkable soils with no fertiliser or irrigation. Some types get the manure left in my goose pens, and the vegetables get my goat manure, but the field and staple crops have to genuinely love it here to make the cut. The watermelon trial I mentioned was done on our creek flats in the only vaguely silty soil and apart from killing the existing pasture they got no other inputs, so the varieties that fruited well had reasonably strong vigour.

We are at the start of our watermelon season here so if you are willing to send me any seed I would be really excited to incorporate them into my program. Im not sure how we get in touch here- is it OK to share email addresses or is there a way to private message? Happy to pay for seed as well if you would prefer that.

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2018-10-21, 11:15:31 AM »
That little envelope under your name means people can email you.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Dominic J

• View Profile
    • Lochaber Experimental Hopyard
« Reply #19 on: 2018-10-28, 05:56:21 PM »
Nice work!

I've started playing with watermelons, but the interesting varieties I wanted to cross will have to wait for next year.

One accession is reported to be cold-resistant. From... Nigeria, I think? Doesn't really seem like a cold place to me, though!

hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/49/3/240.full

Heh, this article mentions an ever better one from South Africa. I don't think I ordered that one, wasn't mentioned in the docs I had consulted at the time. :/

Gilbert Fritz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2018-10-30, 03:49:39 PM »
Hello Andrew and others,

I chopped open the first few of my citron/ watermelons. The largest was 24 pounds and nearly spherical. It had the cloud-like citron patterns on it. On the inside, it had pale yellow flesh, tan seeds with the larger end dark brown, and a very thick rind. It was a bit more solid than a standard melon. The taste was not bad, but not very interesting, sweet but bland. It was also a little grainy.

I'll post more on the other melons as I cut them open and pictures as I get time.

These plants had been very neglected; no fertilizer, no weeding, and late planting.

S.Simonsen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2018-10-30, 03:54:04 PM »
This all sounds really promising to me- "no fertilizer, no weeding, and late planting" and a flavour that isn't instantly terrible when citron genes are introduced. Cucurbits have such incredible potential to be vigorous and productive to the point of weediness. Just planted out three citron strains in amongst mixed heritage watermelons so should have some different crossed genetics to add to the project in a few months. 

Andrew Barney

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2018-10-30, 10:18:58 PM »
In response to Gilbert and others,  awesome! Thanks for the grow report and collaboration on this project! I look forward to pictures!

Gilbert Fritz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2018-11-13, 11:56:26 AM »
Here is the big melon.

Gilbert Fritz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2018-11-13, 11:57:12 AM »
Opened.

Gilbert Fritz

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2018-11-13, 11:57:46 AM »
Second largest.

Andrew Barney

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2018-11-13, 07:22:04 PM »
Second largest.

Cool! Thanks for the photos! I am particularly impressed with the sizes you got for the conditions you gave them.

How did they taste? The largest one #1 does not look all that tasty despite the nice yellow color.  Number 2 looks practically like a domestic. Did it taste good? How was flesh firmness or pectin concentration?

Am i correct in the fact that you planted the landrace domestics with the citron hybrids mixed together?

EDIT: i guess you already mentioned how the largest one tasted.

Hello Andrew and others,

I chopped open the first few of my citron/ watermelons. The largest was 24 pounds and nearly spherical. It had the cloud-like citron patterns on it. On the inside, it had pale yellow flesh, tan seeds with the larger end dark brown, and a very thick rind. It was a bit more solid than a standard melon. The taste was not bad, but not very interesting, sweet but bland. It was also a little grainy.

I'll post more on the other melons as I cut them open and pictures as I get time.

These plants had been very neglected; no fertilizer, no weeding, and late planting.
« Last Edit: 2018-11-13, 07:25:24 PM by Andrew Barney »

Gilbert Fritz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 09:26:55 AM »
Yes, I planted them mixed. The second largest may well be domestic. Neither tasted that great, not bad, but not good enough to eat the whole thing. I just ate a few scoops from each.

I'm almost certain the big one is partly citron, due to the patterns and pale flesh.