Author Topic: Seminole pumpkin (C. moschata) breeding for seed production  (Read 32 times)

S.Simonsen

• View Profile
    • Email
I recently stumbled upon seminole pumpkins during a variety trial. Our subtropical Australian climate is similar to northern Florida so it isnt too surprising. They were the only one to fruit reasonably well growing through a season with virtually no rain and no irrigation. Subsequently they have done even better starting off in a similarly dreadful dry spring but with decent rain to finish the crop off. I don't really eat pumpkin flesh but have found the seed to be abundant and excellent eating quality. So I am interested in developing this population toward even better seed production (since hullless pepo strains do really badly here due to fruit fly while the seminole are untouched).

During the variety trial the seminole outcrossed, probably with lakota which also did OK-ish beside it in the trial, to produce hybrids that set 30 cm across monster fruit. These have slightly fatter seed than pure seminole so will probably be backcrossed with the pure seminole line. The pure lakota seed were quite impressive, almost as big as a maxima.

Does anyone have any other moschata varieties that they could recommend that might have good edible seed quality? And advice on selecting for seed production other than just keep favouring the seediest fruit with the biggest seed?

whwoz

• View Profile
Re: Seminole pumpkin (C. moschata) breeding for seed production
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 02:38:59 AM »
Don't know of any other moschata with naked seeds,  but you may want to check out Pumpkin Paradise on ebay Australia for possibilities

S.Simonsen

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seminole pumpkin (C. moschata) breeding for seed production
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:05:40 AM »
Pumpkin paradise is where I got the varieties for my trial which identified the potential of seminole. The seminole seeds arent naked but are pretty easy to eat whole. Most maxima seed are bigger/thicker but quite tough, and most other moschata I know have pretty thin seeds. Seminole seems to be right in the middle and great to eat as is (even nicer toasted lightly). I wonder if it was originally used as a seed crop by the native americans who grew it.