Author Topic: Phaseolus polystachios  (Read 67 times)

hortusbrambonii

• View Profile
    • Email
Phaseolus polystachios
« on: 2019-03-31, 04:54:38 AM »
I have seeds of the wild thicket bean (Phaseolus polystachios) from the experimental farm network. And I have a few questions:

1. The seeds are said to be edible as dry beans. Are they interesting? And is there any yield?
2. Is the plant interesting to look at? (Like P. coccineus and certain pink-flowering common beans or peas are)
3. I see all kind of speculations about the possibility of crosing it with either P. coccineus or (phylogetentically closer but climatologically less interesting in Western Europe) P. lunatus for a perennial bean. Did anyone at all ever succeed in that?

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Phaseolus polystachios
« Reply #1 on: 2019-03-31, 05:37:36 AM »
I have an established patch of them growing on the fence by my garden gate. I grow them mostly just for fun. Can hardly imaging harvesting enough of those tiny beans to make a meal plus they shatter very easily. I think to really try to harvest them you would have to do so while the pods were still pretty green. The flowers are pretty but certainly not spectacular. I have grown both  P. coccineus and  P. lunatus in close proximity and observed bumblebees moving between the flowers but have not found any obvious crosses when I plant the saved seeds. 

Over all they are nice to have around I think. They truly are perennial so once you get them established they are carefree after that. They are easy to sprout in the cold frame or by direct planting. They do spread by seed but are not a weedy problem.   Some years they make a lot of seeds and some not many, I guess that is probably weather related. 
« Last Edit: 2019-03-31, 05:39:25 AM by reed »