Author Topic: Breeding Sweet Potatoes (turning them into a seed grown annual)  (Read 921 times)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding Sweet Potatoes (turning them into a seed grown annual)
« Reply #30 on: 2019-05-19, 05:05:51 PM »
O yea, didn't think of that. Probably fine or even better for seeds to plant larger ones with old roots intact. A couple of mine had already started blooming not long after going out to the cold frame. It's been plenty warm here, hot actually in my opinion and they've been in full sun. 

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: 2019-05-19, 06:59:29 PM »
What will be large plants come spring were cuttings 6 weeks ago, they will just chug away through winter slowly growing, so 6 months in a pot.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 02:55:56 AM »
Well, I am officially overwhelmed by sweet potatoes. I intended to grow five of each of my own but trimmed that down to three, then two and now just one of some. Only have a couple I'm still growing five of. Still it OVER fills the intended area where I'm putting them and the new orders, about 50 total haven't even shipped yet.

I suppose if it comes to it, I'll discard some of mine or just stick them out somewhere to take their chances with the deer and rabbits. Priority this year is still getting new genetics mixed into the grex even it means some that might have been worth propagating indefinitely as clones end up going extinct. Just not possible for me to keep every one that comes along nor does that further the goal of turning them into a seed grown annual. 

Doro

• Värmland, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 04:27:06 AM »
It's kind of heart breaking when that happens, I can relate to it very much. Same thing happened to me with the potatos, the cultivar collection has gotten too big to plant large amounts of each one. When I was done planting and had so much leftovers waiting to be planted, I just could not compost them and put a table at the roadside instead. For the neighbours to pick up all they might want. Everything gone in three days! It had a sign saying 'Free seedpotatoes, enjoy!' But I still find money in my letterbox or on the porch with thank you notes :) country life at its best.

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 01:12:06 PM »
That's so nice to see Doro in a world of full of 'takers'

Doro

• Värmland, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 03:34:35 PM »
It is really nice and I feel lucky that our small village still has a strong community feeling.