Author Topic: How to evaluate internal quality of radishes for seed saving?  (Read 445 times)

Klaus Brugger

• View Profile
Hi,

I wonder what's the best "not too destructive" way to evaluate the interior of radishes, e. g. for flavor or "flesh" color.
I'm especially interested in small round ones that are primarily hypocotyl.

Do you cut out a "sector"? Or cut off a "cap"? Or is there another, better method?

Thank you very much!
Klaus

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: How to evaluate internal quality of radishes for seed saving?
« Reply #1 on: 2019-03-01, 03:58:37 PM »
I do not know if it works with radish, but for other rood crops punching a hole is done for the evaluation, with tools similar to the ones in the link below. (maybe not such heavy duty ones, as they may split the radish).
Powdering with biochar powder is said to help prevent infections. Having done other experiments with diseases and biochar I believe it, but did not try it out myself.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=hollow+hole+punching&t=ffab&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2019-03-01, 05:09:04 PM »
I have taken small sectors out of carrots, but I think I lost a few. The hole punch idea looks good - and the biochar.
GM

Klaus Brugger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-03-05, 05:57:26 AM »
Thank you for your answers! Maybe I should start to practice punching holes into store-bought radishes ...
I just thought that an even, outward facing surface would be less prone to rot than a hole or "channel" through the tuber.

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-03-05, 06:04:46 AM »
The idea of the hole punching is that you have the whole carrot (or whatever root) in your sample. In a carrot, the core (xylem) and the cortex (phloem) taste completely differently. Try it out with the next carrot, eat one part first and the second after, it is completely different. If you taste only one part, you could miss a change in taste in the other part.

To see the different parts of the carrot (first random link) https://frama.link/JbHF4aXx

Ilex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2019-04-30, 06:01:41 AM »
With carrots I cut the lower part, let it dry, and plant again. Almost all make it to flowering.

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2019-05-09, 01:51:18 PM »
When saving desirable radish plants I find its sometimes hard to know if they haven't become hollow, tapping on them to make sure they are solid is an idea. 
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm yearly rainfall