Author Topic: Breeding for Late Blight Resistant Tomatoes  (Read 3468 times)

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
Re: Breeding for Late Blight Resistant Tomatoes
« Reply #30 on: 2021-10-03, 06:17:25 AM »
Yeah!  I read the description at Johnnies - sounds like Galahad would make a good standard to compare disease resistance with my home bred varieties, even though LB has not been the issue here, because it has such a spectrum of resistances. 

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
« Reply #31 on: 2021-10-03, 09:37:42 AM »
Crossing Iron Lady F1 with Galahad F1 could be an option if someone really wanted Early Blight resistance.

I sometimes get early blight, almost always end up with late blight by the end of the season.

Should be easy enough to select for most of the blight resistant traits. I would have to send the offspring out to people who have problems with Septoria, Nematodes, Grey leaf spot, Spotted Wilt and fusarium wilt to test for the other resistances.

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #32 on: 2021-10-03, 03:00:10 PM »
After growing it again this year I am certain that what I've been growing as dehybridizing Lizzano is actually a stable early red micro dwarf and I've no idea if it has any relation to real Lizzano F1. It was quite similar to "pinnochio" micro dwarf which I also grew.  Would need to grow out some real lizzano F1 a few generations to know I guess. Not sure but I think we decided that Lizzano F1 does NOT have both PH2 and PH3 homozygous? Which might be the end of my Lizzano experiments.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days