Author Topic: Plant breeders without borders  (Read 1371 times)

William S.

• View Profile
Re: Plant breeders without borders
« Reply #30 on: 2019-03-02, 09:11:17 PM »
Hi Anthony,

Good to hear from you. I was a little afraid we may have scared you off. Speaking for myself. I would really like to participate in some international plant breeding that helps empower third world farmers. I would also like to do that in a way that protects that germplasm I contribute from exploitation by large firms I.E. by using OSSI pledged material. To do that I would want to pledge any material before I contributed it.

I should also say there's very little on your list I'm working with or have time to work with. I have a population of Amaranth I was hoping would cross, but I am not sure it is crossing. It seems more just that one variety has predominated. Quinoa seems to have a pathogen here. There wasn't anything else I remember from your list that I grow. I'm pretty focused on tomatoes right now.

So realistically I don't have time to help you as a hobbyist for awhile unless my amaranth project picks up steam. If it does pick up I'll OSSI pledge it after about three years then I'll be willing to contribute it IF the OSSI pledge is to be honored in subsequent projects. Or if something really compelling happens OR it turns out I can grow something else on your list OR you get interested in a crop I am already somewhat focused on. If you are really interested in using OSSI material AND honoring the OSSI pledge I think that's great.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: 2019-03-04, 11:51:57 AM »
Hi Anthony,

I am still a bit confused about PBWB. I mad a small mindmap with my open question, I think these are things which interest many people here. I hope the questions are clearer than just with plain text.

Best

Edit: there seem to be a problem with the attachment. Wether I attach a png or jpg, it ends up as a jpg, and the size changes from 90 down to 19 kB.

here the link to the picture
https://postimg.cc/T5pPqBS7

« Last Edit: 2019-03-05, 04:18:24 AM by Ocimum »

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: 2019-03-05, 04:20:05 AM »
Fixed, it now works in the link.

Anthony.leddin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: 2019-04-02, 05:24:12 PM »
Sorry it has taken a while to get back but I have created a document that I have posted on the Plant breeders without borders website that I hope will answer all your questions, here is the link, thanks Anthony.
http://pbwob.org/what-happens-to-the-seed/

rowan

• Southern Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Garden Larder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: 2019-04-02, 06:37:32 PM »
Thanks Anthony. Looking forward to seeing PBWB working and making a difference :)
--------------------------------
Garden Larder:  www.gardenlarder.com.au

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: 2019-04-21, 01:01:13 PM »
Hi,
I read your article...

In addition, we will work with communities and research institutes to try to ensure that ‘breeder’s exemption’ is applied to such material.

We will "try to ensure"... I am not a lawyer, but to me it sounds like a politician’s “maybe”.

As a matter of principle, PBWOB will aim to come to agreement with the local partners to allow the return of improved germplasm to the appropriate genebank, both national and international, where possible, so that other communities nationally and internationally can benefit.

If I understand you well, you make sure that the genetic material is made accessible internationally. But only maybe independent breeders and other communities can work with this material.

I am not a member of the OSSI, but I start to wonder what your message is doing here, on the forum for Open Source forum. By the way, I still do not know how PBWOB is financed.

O.

rowan

• View Profile
    • Garden Larder
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: 2019-04-21, 10:29:43 PM »
I personally think this a perfectly acceptable thread for this forum, who knows if any of the resulting varieties from this project will become OSSI pledged. I would hate to think that opinions on worthiness might put off independent breeders from participating in discussions here.

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: 2019-04-22, 03:41:30 PM »
I am not sure what you mean by “worthiness”. I am sure Anthony Leddin has a lot of knowledge and experience on breeding.

But would you share pork recipes on a vegetarian cooking forum? Or would you ask for seeds dressed with insecticides on an organic forum?

Anyway, I go back to my own projects, which I hope can be pledged.

rowan

• View Profile
    • Garden Larder
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: 2019-04-22, 05:37:58 PM »
I'm sorry, I don't really understand your comment. We are obviously seeing this project differently.

Carol Deppe

• View Profile
    • caroldeppe.com
« Reply #39 on: 2019-04-25, 09:00:25 PM »
I personally think this a perfectly acceptable thread for this forum, who knows if any of the resulting varieties from this project will become OSSI pledged. I would hate to think that opinions on worthiness might put off independent breeders from participating in discussions here.

I also think this is a perfectly acceptable thread for the forum. In fact, 3 OSSI Board of Directors members have participated in this thread--Bill, Jack Kloppenburg (at my request), and me. (Jack, author of First the Seed, is an expert on all aspects of seed control, including international. Probably the foremost expert on it in the country, maybe the world.) None of us OSSI Board Members balked about this thread being here. Didn't even occur to me. Let Anthony present his ideas and make his case. Let people see his ideas and what he is doing and participate or not as they wish.