Author Topic: True Garlic Seed (TGS)  (Read 887 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
True Garlic Seed (TGS)
« on: 2018-10-14, 01:04:58 PM »
Given that there's quite a number of grower members here are already having fun playing around with true garlic seed breeding, (though one member namely me has yet to get to first base) a thread devoted to it may as well be kicked into gear  :)

This has to be the year surely that someone from NZ can achieve TGS, though it did inadvertently happened to a gardener a few years in the North Island who thankfully not knowing the importance of what the small black seed was that fall out on her sorting table sowed it and ended up producing bulbs, I have some of that growing in my garden. Each year its seems we (we as in a NZ FB group) are getting closer, last summer a few of us got seed, but were hollow.... sliding into first base but getting tagged out.  ::)
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps

Lauren

• Utah, USA, 4000 ft
    • View Profile
Re: True Garlic Seed (TGS)
« Reply #1 on: 2018-10-14, 07:07:09 PM »
I've never gotten there either, but I did find some interesting information. If I remember the article correctly, garlic has double day-length triggers--one for seeding, one for bulbs, with the seeding happening first in natural garlic. Over time growers tweaked the breeding until the bulb happened first, so the seeds never developed. I think the key would be tricking the plant into creating the stalk before the bulb. It's a desert plant (?) adapted to mild wet winters and long hot summers. So I'm going to try cool vs warm ground (black plastic around one group, mulch around another) and tight vs loose spacing to try stressing the plant into producing seeds rather than bulbs.

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2018-10-21, 11:13:12 AM »
One year I tried, but usually I eat all the scapes.

Next year I will try to remember to leave some uneaten.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2020-11-02, 09:29:34 PM »
https://nikitovka.com/en/214-fruits-and-vegetables?order=product.name.desc&page=6

Just saw two true garlic seed varieties from this Ukraine seed company.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2020-11-02, 10:02:06 PM »
They look like bulbils in the round photo on each variety, I take it that is what they are selling.
Changeable climate manly during winter & spring - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps

whwoz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2020-11-03, 12:19:50 AM »
Would agree with you there Richard. Considering some of the reports about tomatoes grown from their seed lately not being what they were supposed to be, definitely buyer beware...

Steph S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2020-11-05, 07:23:26 PM »
Yes, they have mislabeled it as 'true' garlic seed.  These are not new varieties from true seeds.  I know Lyubasha, which I tried to grow from bulbils here, but it didn't make it.

I made some attempts to get true garlic seed here, but then realized, with our very short season there was really a remote chance of succeeding.  Even bulbils won't often fully develop in the field, you have to pull the plants and bring them inside to finish up when it's already season over here.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2020-11-06, 10:53:54 AM »
Yes, they have mislabeled it as 'true' garlic seed.  These are not new varieties from true seeds.  I know Lyubasha, which I tried to grow from bulbils here, but it didn't make it.

I made some attempts to get true garlic seed here, but then realized, with our very short season there was really a remote chance of succeeding.  Even bulbils won't often fully develop in the field, you have to pull the plants and bring them inside to finish up when it's already season over here.
wow you really must have a short season.

Its the rust that's a real headache for us in this country, I'm spraying my plants with baking soda every few days and so far so good, scapes are just starting to show, but, a very rare wet summer is likely so that wont help the battle fighting rust.
alps