Author Topic: Homegrown Goodness Forum  (Read 1561 times)

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
Re: Homegrown Goodness Forum
« Reply #15 on: 2019-06-10, 01:28:56 PM »
The one thing I miss about HGF is the off topic and my weather threads, I know myself and reed have a strong interest in weather/climate.

I would like to see an Off Topic category that could have a weather thread
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

Woody Gardener

• NW Arkansas, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: 2019-06-10, 05:48:28 PM »
In addition, how about a climate section in Off Topic. I'm very concerned about climate and my locally adapted plant selections are chosen for heat and drought resistance.

spacecase0

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2019-06-10, 10:24:30 PM »
talking about the weather can get you a mess quick, example:
even pointing out that north and south hemispheres get unequal summer and winter (currently 7 days unequal) that is caused by the precession of the earth can get everyone upset at you, the warming people don't like the idea, others have the idea mess with them...
super easy to prove, go look at the equinoxes and do the math,
and trying to show people that winter is getting longer and summer is getting shorter in north america as years go on proved to me that most people see this entire topic as a religion, and ends up getting debated like a religion...
I wonder how people here would deal with such topics

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2019-06-10, 11:52:17 PM »
north and south hemispheres get unequal summer and winter

I'll say, winters have become so much shorter in the last 10 years.

I think a day to day weather thread would ideal, never caused to many problems over on HHG.
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: 2019-06-11, 09:42:34 AM »
Most of the time I ignore the weather threads as I just don't find them that interesting.  But I don't see why it would be off topic. This is a gardening and plant breeding forum,  weather is a big part of what we do.

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2019-06-11, 09:59:56 AM »

Let's talk about the weather and how it's affecting our plant breeding: http://opensourceplantbreeding.org/forum/index.php?topic=219.0