Author Topic: Squash varieties with resistance to stink bugs?  (Read 53 times)

Woody Gardener

• View Profile
    • Email
Squash varieties with resistance to stink bugs?
« on: 2019-02-06, 09:56:35 AM »
My squash breeding is on hold because of squash shield/stink bugs. Are there any varieties that have some resistance to them? Last year they ignored the 6 Canada Crooknecks till all the other squash varieties were dying but hit them before any fruit matured. I'm considering a large planting of CCs to see if any set fruit but would love to add other moschata varieties. I'd try other squash species just to have squash fruit in my garden.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
Re: Squash varieties with resistance to stink bugs?
« Reply #1 on: 2019-02-06, 01:48:21 PM »
Squash bugs and cucumber beetles are a big pain in the arse. Fortunately they seem to be fairly cyclical. We had them very badly for about 3 years then a particularly hard winter knocked them back and haven't seen either in big numbers since then. But those 3 years, boy howdy...

Cucumber beetles are hopeless, but you can kinda sorta keep on top of the squash bugs. When they first appear, or you think they are about to first appear, go out and water your squash for 10 or 15 minutes. Come back in 5 to 10 minutes with a jar of soapy water (aka the Pit of Death) and pick them off into it. If your patch is not huge and you do this daily you can actually make some very measurable inroads into the population. Don't forget to also check the undersides of leaves for orange or yellow eggs, which should also be mashed or scraped off.

But I don't know much about resistance. My impression lines up with your experience, which is that there may be some varieties they like better than others, but they aren't that fussy, and will eat anything if that's what there is.