Author Topic: OSSI Industrial Hemp  (Read 105 times)

Kai Duby

• View Profile
    • Email
OSSI Industrial Hemp
« on: 2019-02-04, 05:13:18 PM »
I know that this is a bit of a testy subject but given the recent legislature and current trends I think it's important to bring up.

On the land I am currently living on I have one neighbor who is growing hemp for CBD, another that is a recreational retail grower, and farther afield there are hundreds of acres getting planted in hemp. About every 5 miles down the country road there are big razor wire fences surrounding high input greenhouses growing some kind of Cannabis. So it's a huge business out here in the high altitude desert.

For this forum I am only talking about hemp as the USDA defines it:
a plant of the genus Cannabis and any part of the plant, whether growing or not, containing a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) concentration of no more than three-tenths of one percent (0.3%) on a dry weight basis.

This is obviously a bit of onerous bureaucratic lingo but I think that is why it's important to put the issue up here because, although it is now legal, hemp is steeped in regulation, which makes it less likely to be picked up by small-scale breeders and more likely to have large corporate buy in.

There are currently only 6 true, tested 0.3% hemp varieties available (that I know of) here in CO that are distributed through the CDA.
I was thinking about what would happen if a large part of the very limited genuine 0.3% testing seed was OSSI pledged before any kind of corporate seed grab occurred. Perhaps that's dangerous thinking but that's why I thought I'd throw the idea out here.

I've never actually grown it but I've watched all of this ag-industry grow up around me and it makes me wonder.

Would it be worth giving the county commissioner a key to your land and dealing with regulatory fees, testing and all of the rigmarole to breed out an OSSI  hemp variety?
San Luis Valley, CO. >7,500'. Zone3-4. Low rainfall: 8-10''. Low Humidity. High winds.

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: OSSI Industrial Hemp
« Reply #1 on: 2019-02-04, 09:35:33 PM »
Am I correct in assuming this will be used for making rope and potato sacks?
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Olaf Nurlif

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-02-05, 02:29:38 PM »
Well, the isolation of your ossi hemp population/variety would be challenging I guess.
Of course you could hand pollinate it easily. But that will be a lot of work.

Also keeping the thc content below 0.3% could be challenging (/labor/cost intensive...)

Kai Duby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-02-09, 09:16:09 PM »
I went to a seed exchange today that featured hemp and, as it turned out, the hemp was what filled up the parking lot, not the little, measly local veggie lovers. There were tons of booths with all the wondrous hemp potential spread out.
Some of the hemp items:

- Delicious hemp hearts: apparently they have a nearly complete amino acid profile AND contain a high percentage of omege 3 and 6.
- Insulation like conventional fiberglass bats and apparently with a comparable R value
- Hemp-crete bricks which are apparently used in load bearing walls but they also have some insulation value.
- Teas, salves, infused coffee, raw essential oil etc. ( These mainly with CBD oil)
- Biodegradable plastic pellets made from hemp hulls, which can be used for general plastic manufacture.

....So the possibilities are apparently much grander than potato sacks.

Obviously a lot of this stuff is "industrial" oriented and not exactly geared toward home growers or even small scale farmers. I asked a few of the vendors about smaller scale implementations and home scale breeding operations but I think that, given the current legal restrictions, the possibilities are slim so know one has even considered it.
The seed suppliers were state certified and had their materials lab tested. When I asked them about breeding for drought tolerance and overall organic field conditions they pretty much laughed at me.

Olaf: I've heard a lot of varying opinion about isolation distance for Cannabis but no concrete answers. Obviously my specific location would not be a good place to start because everyone and their mom is growing marijuana.
From talking to the seed growers at the event it seems that the thc content, even from certified low percentage seed, various a lot with growing conditions.

San Luis Valley, CO. >7,500'. Zone3-4. Low rainfall: 8-10''. Low Humidity. High winds.

Carol Deppe

• View Profile
    • caroldeppe.com
« Reply #4 on: Today at 06:45:37 PM »
At the OSSI Board meeting yesterday, we discussed OSSI-Pledging hemp. We're ready.