Author Topic: Beans and Anthracnose  (Read 196 times)

Ferdzy

• View Profile
Beans and Anthracnose
« on: 2019-02-01, 08:12:16 AM »
Hello all;

We have been working with anthracnose resistance in beans for the last few years. This is not a project that we chose, it chose us when I purchased some beans from a national hardware chain (Cdn Tire) the brand being one of the old American seedhouses (Burpee? But I don't really remember) and they turned out to be infected. By the time we realized what it was and how serious it was our garden was well saturated in the stuff and now growing beans is a big problem.

Meanwhile, some bean crosses had been showing up in the garden, most of them plainly fathered by Cherokee Trail of Tears. Fortuitously, CToT has really quite decent anthracnose resistance so this has been good. One of the beans they crossed with was Blue Lake S7, so we are trying to end up with a strain of beans very like Blue Lake but with better resistance. Right now they are segregating into flat and round pods, green and purple pods, and white, beige, and black seeds.

Is there anyone else out there with bean anthracnose? Would you like to try some of these seeds? If you do NOT have it, I highly recommend that you do not get these seeds from me. We do our best to collect clean seed but the odds are very good that they carry the spores and are infected.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Beans and Anthracnose
« Reply #1 on: 2019-02-27, 07:46:19 AM »
Hi Ferdzy, I just saw this thread and I am definitely interested but like I said over on my thread I want to wait till end of this season. I'm not worried about bringing in something from your beans but I'm pretty confident I can save you some from mine that will have no apparent disease at all. I can't do that right now cause I don't save them exclusively. They are mixed with those that might have some disease.

I didn't know what the disease was till you pointed it out and  I looked it up. What I'v done over the years is just save what I called clean or cleaner pods. I do notice now days more and more that have a lot less or even none of the disease.  Those are the ones I want to save separate for you.

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-02-27, 11:50:17 AM »
Thanks Reed. We are not short of beans so no great rush here. Also probably more interested in sending out beans than receiving.

We too save only the cleanest of beans and it does seem to reduce it over time. We're also soaking them in hydrogen peroxide before we plant. I can't guarantee no anthracnose so I am not offering any beans to people without it, but I'd say our problem at this point is spores in the garden rather than seed contamination. It doesn't usually get going until mid August or thereabouts for us.

Seed and garden sanitation helps. Seed selection helps. And I'm hoping that crossing resistant varieties also helps. My big fear (ha!ha!ha!ha! Yeah, not that worried) is that we will succeed in getting rid of the anthracnose from the garden before we have a chance to test out how resistant our bean crosses are.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-02-28, 08:47:09 AM »
August or so is when it sets in here too and it's worse in moist conditions, and I'm sure my ground is pretty much saturated with it. I even reuse trellis that sometimes still has last year's dried vines.

I figure it's a good test to see if a new one is worth keeping. When I planted some new semi runners a couple years ago, one called  Refugee made lots of nearly clean pods, and it came to me crossed up so I got a few new resistant strains all at once. One called Crystal Wax made a few dried up pods of mostly moldy fuzz.
« Last Edit: 2019-02-28, 08:57:28 AM by reed »

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-03-08, 05:40:29 PM »
We just ate some of the beans from the CToT-Blue Lake cross for dinner; purple ones by the looks of them. They held up very well in the freezer - tender but still a little crisp, really nice flavour, no strings. I'm getting excited about these!