Author Topic: Direct Seeded Tomato Project  (Read 579 times)

William S.

• View Profile
Re: Direct Seeded Tomato Project
« Reply #15 on: 2019-04-14, 05:39:56 PM »
Went out to my garden land and checked my seed there. Lots more Big Hill seed from my 2018 grow out and lots more Blue Ambrosia segregants and descendents. I'll be planting a lot of what did well last year back into the same field. Plus some very interesting additions. Lots of F2 seed.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2019-04-16, 12:57:48 PM »
 My Encarsia formosa wasps arrived today. Five little cardboard pieces With little hang tags and the egg clusters glued in the center. I hung one on the lemon tree inside in case some of the whiteflies are still inside somewhere. Then I hung the other four on various tomato plants out in the greenhouse.

One seedling of Solanum chilense the strain from Sacred Succulents is germinating in the grrenhouse. Seeds were very different on this strain to the TGRC strain. 
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A

Lauren

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2019-04-16, 08:40:25 PM »
The first three seedlings to germinate in relatively cold soil in the new trays are from an extra early Peruvianum from last year.
When you say relatively cold, what do you mean? I never use bottom heat and the house remains between 68 and 70 degrees. Is the the kind of temperature you're referring to? Colder?

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2019-04-16, 09:34:06 PM »
Hmm, hard to say with no thermometer in the greenhouse. Definitely colder than the room temp they would have if I moved them back inside. Definitely hasn't frozen, none of the adult tomato plants has been nipped.

Lauren

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2019-04-17, 07:45:00 AM »
OK. I have close to 100% germination with no bottom heat, so I wonder if I could do even colder? :) If I can start them IN the greenhouse, perhaps in a closed bin, that would clear up space inside. When I started the tomatoes greenhouse temps were in the high thirties/low forties, so a bin might bring that up to mid forties. Something to think about, anyway. Perhaps a test next year.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2019-04-17, 08:00:43 AM »
In 2017 I put the seedling trays in the unheated greenhouse when it was very cold. Some warm weather hit and germination began then cold weather hit again so I brought them back indoors. That may yet happen this year. Have you heard of winter sowing?

I try to do something similar with the direct seeding. In 2017 I direct seeded one iteration of my experiment in March. It germinated about may fifth and the last frost was May 15th. The ten day old seedlings mostly survived. Too much weeding of bare ground though! In 2018 I direct seeded sometime late April or early May thinking ten to twenty days before last frost and it never frosted again. In 2018 some volunteers were earlier than the direct seeded and they were never frosted. However in 2018 fall frosts were earlier than in 2017.

So far this year the trend is cool but moderate. Highs in the fifties, lows around or above freezing. I haven't been able to work the ground yet.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 01:02:07 PM »
Just walked out to the greenhouse and my Golden Tressette plant has set its first flower. Interestingly it is modestly exserted. This makes sense given what we know of it.

Also along that line Golden Tresette is the first domestic tomato to sprout. Sweet Pea Currant has joined its pimp brethren. The penelope I seeded last Sunday is emerging to join that seeded two Sundays ago. My own saved seed from that same cross is still MIA. The single seed of LA 4488 is trying to germinate but the leaves are stuck in the seed coat. LA 1932 chilense has some action starting in its cell.