Author Topic: Direct Seeded Tomato Project  (Read 13923 times)

Adrian

• View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 7b
Re: Direct Seeded Tomato Project
« Reply #75 on: 2022-06-19, 12:06:16 AM »
Hy william,
At placements or we expand compost we have often volunteers tomato plants and they are often more strong than plants sow at home.

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #76 on: 2022-06-19, 09:01:31 AM »
Direct seeding tomatoes has worked well for me now for 6 years. Volunteers have been a little more sporadic, but I think perhaps now they are becoming more reliable. Though I also thought that might be the case a few years ago!
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Cathy A

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA 4b
« Reply #77 on: 2022-06-20, 08:17:42 AM »
The challenge I've had with direct-seeded volunteers is that if they fruit at all, it's at the very end of the season. It might work for me if the varieties were very early, like Sweet Cherriette or Sub-Arctic Plenty.

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #78 on: 2022-06-20, 08:28:46 AM »
It was volunteers doing that in 2016 that inspired me. Then it wasn't that hard here in zone 6A western Montana. It's definitely a later crop though.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days