Author Topic: Sesame for temperate regions  (Read 585 times)

Klaus Brugger

• View Profile
Sesame for temperate regions
« on: 2019-01-26, 04:48:47 PM »
Hi,

Is anyone working with or growing sesame in more temperate regions?
I read that there is great variation among varieties regarding maturity time and response to photoperiod and temperature.
I'm thinking about starting a breeding project and as a first step I'd like to trial some southern US heirlooms (benne) if I can track down a few. Apparently they have a high culinary quality?

Thanks,
Klaus

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
Re: Sesame for temperate regions
« Reply #1 on: 2019-01-26, 05:12:55 PM »

I am working with sesame. It's particularly mal-suited to my area. But the patch produced more seeds than I put into the ground, so that seems like an auspicious start.

William S.

• View Profile
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-01-26, 08:49:29 PM »
I have a package of unhulled organic seeds from Alberta that I intended to try growing.

I have just taken a closer look at the package, and it was grown in Uganda.  Maybe I will still try - just a pinch of it.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2019-01-26, 10:22:04 PM »
I put in two varieties of sesame this season, a white and a black seeded one. The white one didnít survive but the black one is still going. Not sure if it will set seed but fingers crossed.
For next season I want to get hold of some unhulled seeds, white or black or both, and try again. Not sure how easy sesame is to thresh and winnow. Hopefully Iíll find out soon if the black seeded plants survive long enough to produce seed.
Ray
Mildly acidic clay loam over clay and ironstone; temperate climate modified by altitude (1000m); avg rainfall 780mm; usually wet summers and dry winters.

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2019-01-26, 11:44:25 PM »
Sesame seed is super easy to harvest -- about like poppies, tip the seed pod upside down over a container. The seeds fall out. As far as I remember, sesame seeds don't have hulls.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-26, 11:47:24 PM by Joseph Lofthouse »

Olaf Nurlif

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2019-01-27, 08:19:23 AM »
Sesame seed is super easy to harvest -- about like poppies, tip the seed pod upside down over a container. The seeds fall out. As far as I remember, sesame seeds don't have hulls.

As in poppies, sesame varieties exist that won't open their capsules. For mechanical harvest such types are preferred although the "open" forms are often better yielding if I remember that correctly.
And "hulling" sesame means removing the pericarp. I don't know how this is done. Maybe it's like nixtamalisation of maize?

Walt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2019-01-28, 10:21:08 AM »
I grew sesame a couple of times years ago.  Seed was from SSE and it did very well.  So there is sesame well adapted to Kansas.
Beautiful plant, suited to the flower garden as well as to the food garden.  Same as poppies.

Klaus Brugger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2019-02-03, 06:18:11 AM »
Thank you all very much for your answers!

And "hulling" sesame means removing the pericarp. I don't know how this is done. Maybe it's like nixtamalisation of maize?

There are quite a few videos of hulling facilities on YouTube (here's a big one in MI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhyB-oxM5Jg). Looks like it's done dry in many cases.

I grew sesame a couple of times years ago.  Seed was from SSE and it did very well.  So there is sesame well adapted to Kansas.

That's very interesting! Do you know something about the background of the variety? It's not not listed in the SSE online shop (or at least I can't find it). 

Walt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2019-02-03, 01:56:09 PM »
It was offered by a man in Mulvane, KS.  That is about 150 south of where I live, so no suprize it was well adapted here.  This was about 20 years ago so I remember nothing else about it, except it was a big success and I thought I'd grow it forever.  But I grew it only 2 years because there are so many things to grow.