Author Topic: Breeding Sweet Potatoes (turning them into a seed grown annual)  (Read 8724 times)

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding Sweet Potatoes (turning them into a seed grown annual)
« Reply #180 on: 2020-05-21, 01:12:49 AM »
Despite the fact of cool, cloudy weather, germination in the outdoor patch of 300 seeds is approaching 20%. The fifty seeds that spent a little time inside but mostly in the cold frame is about 50%, the 200 always in the cold frame is about 25%.

I've been wondering what to say about germination in the event I offer seeds for sale or even for trade. There aren't any federal standards like with other crops. Also I know others have had much higher rates with my seeds using better controlled conditions.

I don't have the set up and equipment to do a controlled germination test plus I don't want plants that required controlled conditions so if I did it they would all be wasted.

Plus although I don't doubt it I haven't seen a germ rate of 80 or 90% with my own eyeballs so I wouldn't want to say that. What would people think if seed was offered for sale with an expected germ rate of 20 or 30%?
« Last Edit: 2020-05-21, 01:14:38 AM by reed »

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Breeding Sweet Potatoes (turning them into a seed grown annual)
« Reply #181 on: 2020-05-21, 03:17:51 PM »
I think germination tests are usually done under controlled conditions, testing if the seed has the capacity to germinate. I usually do mine in petri dishes. It is not a guarantee that the seed germinates in your soil or climatic conditions, just that nothing is wrong with the seed itself.