Author Topic: Speed Breeding tomatoes 4 generations a year?  (Read 57 times)

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Speed Breeding tomatoes 4 generations a year?
« on: 2022-01-02, 09:15:22 PM »
I just picked the first two tomatoes off my winter generation of F1 tomato after about 150 days. Conditions were not optimal I bet a much faster outcome could be possible with better conditions.

I was thinking about maybe planting another plant or two and was doing the math. The shortest season tomato I know of Sweet Cherriette is 35 DTM but that is after about a full 8 weeks of growing before transplant or about 91 days from seed to ripe tomato. That would mean that if I planted Sweet Cherriette now I would be looking at the first few days of April before I got a ripe fruit except that I am almost certain it would be sub optimal conditions and take a little longer.

However with optimal conditions and with certain genetics I bet you could do seed to ripe fruit every 90 days or about every three months.

Other ways to speed things up- dissect out the embryo at minimum viability and start it in tissue culture.

If you did let the seed ripen you could chemically clean it so no fermentation time.

Rather than dry the seed you could plant it immediately.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days