Author Topic: "Dwarf" Genes in Solanum/Lycopersicon cheesmanii  (Read 184 times)

Garrett Schantz

• View Profile
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dfa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6
"Dwarf" Genes in Solanum/Lycopersicon cheesmanii
« on: 2022-01-28, 08:25:15 AM »
I now have some of the "truly wild" cheesmaniea seedlings growing.

I have noticed so far, that their first bits of growth / cotyledon are a bit lower than typical types in this group.

The few images - descriptions of some wild cheesmaniea / cheesmanii that I could find, show plants that stay relatively small - at least for a decent period of time.

L. galapagense can behave in the same fashion, but generally is found closer to the ends of the islands. This allow for both salt tolerance, and a plant that grows outwards a bit more. This is common in plants in that habitat.

L. cheesmanii can be present inland and towards the ends of some islands. Some of these accessions sprawl as mentioned, others stay a bit more like a compact woody shrub.

Has anyone tried creating dwarf types using any of the Galapagos species? If the dwarfing happened independent of other species on the mainland, there could be a few more dwarf genes to be used or added somewhere else.

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: "Dwarf" Genes in Solanum/Lycopersicon cheesmanii
« Reply #1 on: 2022-01-28, 06:22:24 PM »
I am not sure because my garden soil seems to naturally keep tomatoes small but my Solanum cheesemanii has never produced a large plant and my Solanum galapagense clump of seven or so plants was a nice compact bush in 2021. I have a galapagense plant in my basement if it ever blooms!

I think Joseph grew some galapagos island wild tomatoes recently and they got big and spreading in his greenhouse.

Habrochaites and maybe penelli seems to throw some dwarfs. Joseph's big project has thrown some from his reports. Though in my garden the rugose dwarfs are the only ones I can tell are dwarfs for sure because literally all tomato plants end up about the same size in my garden. Rugose dwarfs at least some, keep their fruit off the ground for me.. Somehow payette ended up a dwarf and the published pedigree makes that odd cause it is mostly the variety Sioux unless somehow it came from the wild ancestry they introgressed looking for curly top resistance.

So I would err on the side of maybe and give it a try as a cross. Maybe someone who has tried it will chime in eventually. Or maybe that will be us in a year or two!
« Last Edit: 2022-01-28, 06:54:26 PM by William S. »
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days