Author Topic: Welcome and Introduce Yourself!  (Read 19930 times)

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
Re: Welcome and Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #135 on: 2021-08-08, 06:22:35 PM »
Welcome Vesa, my tomato projects seem to take most of my gardening time. Look forward to hearing about yours as well.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Vesa Tee

• Southern Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 2021-08-08, 09:18:59 PM »
Well, Steph, everything really cold sensitive is under plastic. The plum threes are killed by winter every now and then which is why we often try to avoid crafted plums but use true breed clones which regenerates themselves by suckers in few years at site when the bad winter happens. And I get nothing from the melons in a cool summer. The melons are from a small fruited genepool mix of ultra early melons. Only one eggplant variety is doing really well in my polytunnels, and the season is not really long enough for ripe red bell peppers which is why I prefer shishito or others consumed unripe. I sow ocra and edamame in pots at the beginning of May for a short but warm, high humidity start in my best greenhouse, in similar way than I would grow cucumbers. Shorter season in the best possible conditions is sometimes more successful than long in less optimal, such as starting seeds inside the house on window or something.

But yes, we don’t have icebergs floting arround.  :D
« Last Edit: 2021-08-08, 09:20:46 PM by Vesa Tee »

Steph S

• 47.5N 52.8W Newfoundland AgCan zone 5a/USDA zone 4 Koppen Dfb
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 4
« Reply #137 on: 2021-08-09, 04:14:35 AM »
That makes sense, Vesa.  :D
We trialed a lot of peppers here for a few years, and there are some early OP's that did well from early starts - Jimmy Nardello, Frank's, Petit Marseillais, etc which are thinner walled sweet peppers, as well as a good selection of hots.  But they do compete for that scarce greenhouse space everybody needs for tomatoes. ;) 
Looking forward to hear more about your breeding projects.

Adrian

• View Profile
  • Hardiness Zone: 7b
« Reply #138 on: 2021-08-09, 04:40:21 AM »
The peppers is however more resistant at the freez that the tomato but he grow more slowly.I have sucessed to wintering a peper.For me he is resistant up to -6°C and -4°C for the tomato.
https://alanbishop.proboards.com/thread/9489/wintering-tomato-pepper
« Last Edit: 2021-08-09, 04:46:49 AM by Adrian »

jimbakjones94

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 2021-08-12, 02:44:53 PM »
I am brand new to plant breeding, and I came across this forum while reading posts on the Permies blog! I am in the Southeastern USA. Excited to learn more from all of y'all!

Tim DH

• Yorkshire UK
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: 2021-11-22, 08:29:05 AM »
Hi There,
   First an apology from me! On the only other forum I regularly frequent (The Scottish Rock Garden one.) It has never occurred to me to look at the ‘New Members’ thread. So if you are reading this. … Bless you! … You are obviously more community minded than history suggests I am.
   I’m here, in the first instance, because I want to talk tomatoes. I have been trying, for some  m o n t h s   to join Tomatoville. … When I expressed my frustration on the afore mentioned SRGC site, Diane Whitehead suggested I try here. SO: Thank you Diane AND thank you to Admin for letting me in!
   Having lurked here as a guest for a while, I see you are interested in a whole lot of other things that interest me.
   I live in Northern England and garden principally for the kitchen and cut flowers. The kitchen side of this is an attempt to reduce my dependence on Supermarkets and Mega agribusiness.

Tim DH

Joseph Lofthouse

• Administrator
  • Great Basin desert, Rocky Mountains
    • Open Source Plant Breeding Forum, founder. World Tomato Society, ambassador. Plant Breeder. Yogi. Shaman.
    • View Profile
    • Garden.Lofthouse.com
    • Email
  • Koppen zone: Dsa
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA Zone 5
« Reply #141 on: 2021-11-22, 10:09:20 AM »
Welcome Tim!

The hardest part of keeping this site operational is sorting through the new member requests to eliminate spammers... I can understand why Tomatoville would be overwhelmed.

William S.

• Botanist, gardener, and preservice science teacher.
    • View Profile
  • Koppen zone: Dfb Googled
  • Hardiness Zone: USDA zone 6A
« Reply #142 on: 2021-11-22, 11:09:41 AM »
Welcome Tim,

I tried to join tomatoville a few years back. It would let me log in but never view members only content or post. So I gave up!
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian parent material and shallow 7" silty clay loam mollisoil topsoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Greenie DeS

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 2021-11-25, 11:15:22 AM »
I've also tried to join tomatoville every couple years since the old gardenweb tomato forum diminished and have also never had success. I'm very glad for this site, and that you found it!

TinyMonster

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: 2021-11-25, 12:16:49 PM »
Greetings,
My name is Ryan, and I run a little market garden in Lorette, Manitoba, called Tiny Monster Garden. I've moved back and forth across Canada over the past few years, with my seed collection steadily growing with each move. I dabble in basic plant breeding a bit, but that portion of my garden is growing as I see the need for more breeds suited to our short season and harsh northern climate.

Interested in OSSI very much, and I'm happy to be a steward of several varieties included in the initiative, including Goldini, which I understand, has been difficult to get ahold of recently.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Yesterday at 03:59:55 PM »
Welcome Tim and Ryan, nice to have some new folks on board.