Author Topic: Welcome and Introduce Yourself!  (Read 1619 times)

Chiu-Ki Chan

• View Profile
Re: Welcome and Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #45 on: 2019-01-15, 11:03:30 AM »
Hello Chiu-Ki. I'm the cheerfully greedy Chair of the OSSI Variety Review Committee. OSSI doesn't have any luffas....  ;)

Hi Carol! I'm very new to plant breeding and I'm getting a headache reading all the legal ramifications. If I want to breed for OSSI, do I need to trace the legal status of each of the parent plants?

I got my first packet of luffa from Amazon and it was shipped from China. There isn't any mention of patents or anything like that (it's in Chinese but I read Chinese). I also have a packet of seed that I bought in Japan (which was produced in China) plus a packet from Botanical Interest.

Am I in the clear to use these seeds to breed for OSSI?

Carol Deppe

• View Profile
    • caroldeppe.com
« Reply #46 on: 2019-01-15, 02:11:54 PM »
Hi Carol! I'm very new to plant breeding and I'm getting a headache reading all the legal ramifications. If I want to breed for OSSI, do I need to trace the legal status of each of the parent plants?

I got my first packet of luffa from Amazon and it was shipped from China. There isn't any mention of patents or anything like that (it's in Chinese but I read Chinese). I also have a packet of seed that I bought in Japan (which was produced in China) plus a packet from Botanical Interest.

Am I in the clear to use these seeds to breed for OSSI?

The Designation Agreement you sign as part of the application to Pledge a variety includes language to the effect that none of the germplasm used has any patents or restrictions on it that would preclude Pledging it to the best of your knowledge.

Actually, it can be impossible to tell if something is patented. Even an expensive professional patent search wouldn't tell us for sure, because seed companies often use only in-house breeding line numbers in their patents, not the names they use in selling the varieties. This ought to be illegal, because in theory you reveal the secret of the invention in exchange for the legal protection of the patent. And by identifying the variety only by meaningless numbers instead of the public names, the company gets the legal protection without revealing the secret. It's a practice I hope OSSI will be able to challenge some day.

Meanwhile, we do the best we can. As a breeder, I figure if they didnt tell me it was patented or restricted, I'll assume it isn't. This means I might accidently develop a variety from patented germplasm and Pledge it, and the variety might get a cease and desist order from someone. In which case its ossi status would have to be annulled. This hasnt happened so far.

We did have a breeder try to Pledge a variety that included unreleased germplasm from a university program that was used without permission. I checked things out with the university breeder, and OSSI did not accept the variety.

PVP varieties are legal to breed from in most cases. There are exceptions.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-15, 02:20:43 PM by Carol Deppe »

Ocimum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: 2019-01-16, 07:40:39 AM »
... If I want to breed for OSSI, ...
 luffa ...

Hi and welcome Chui-Ki Chan,

I am also interested in Luffa for short season/cold climate. I managed to produce them only once, and this in a greenhouse.

If you are interested you can work publicly with the experimental farm network.
https://www.experimentalfarmnetwork.org/
You can pledge the seeds OSSI, and exchange them with other breeders.

Best

Chiu-Ki Chan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2019-01-16, 10:15:52 AM »
The Designation Agreement you sign as part of the application to Pledge a variety includes language to the effect that none of the germplasm used has any patents or restrictions on it that would preclude Pledging it to the best of your knowledge.

That's good to know! Makes me much more comfortable with breeding for OSSI.

Hi and welcome Chiu-Ki Chan,

I am also interested in Luffa for short season/cold climate. I managed to produce them only once, and this in a greenhouse.

If you are interested you can work publicly with the experimental farm network.
https://www.experimentalfarmnetwork.org/
You can pledge the seeds OSSI, and exchange them with other breeders.

Best

Hi Ocimum! Yes I would love to work with you and others to breed short season cold climate luffa.

Thanks for letting me know about experimental farm network. I don't think I have enough clarity to create a project there yet, but I made a thread here to get started: http://opensourceplantbreeding.org/forum/index.php?topic=122.0

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: 2019-01-17, 05:07:25 PM »
Hi.
Finally got around to posting.
I'm Templeton elsewhere.
Growing in Bendigo, Victoria, S.E. Australia. Dry, skeletal sedimentary soils on a low hillside in the suburbs.  Maybe 30 sq metres of garden beds. Teach natural history at university, soon to finish, which will give me more time for my projects.
OSSI pledged coloured snow peas developed over the last 8 years or so.
Working on:
mass crossed perennial leek, Mass crossed beetroot, Potato onion selections, Short fat parsnip, Coloured baby carrots, Single serve musk melons with flavour, finalising a Jaune Flammee Dwarf tomato project, selecting lettuces from many of Morton's mixes.

My main drivers are fun and curiosity, and developing some diverse gene pools in backyard vegetables for others to play with.
I need more land and water, so  I can have a garden I can eat from, rather than leaving everything to seed. And more room for some proper growouts.
Greg.

gratefulseedsaver

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: 2019-01-18, 06:40:45 AM »
My name is a Mike and Ilive in Omaha, Nebraska (zone 5b). I own/operate a vegan/organic seed production/market produce urban farm. I enjoy breeding tomatoes, peppers, corn and beans. Iím currently working on an orange grape tomato (f5) and a black plum tomato (f5). Flavor and shelf life are my hopes. The exploitation of seed being patented has  me down this path. I still donít understand how State Universities are being allowed to patent seed/plants when public funds go to help the operation of those institutions, but the public sees no royalties from these Universities. Seeds have no business being handled this way nor do I believe that they were put into place for this type of usage. Exclusivities (patents) are for the greedy plain and simple. If you desire notoriety in or when helping mankind then your real interest lies in helping yourself and you should state just that as your intention. Itís pretty obvious behind the scenes...just take a look for yourself. Seeds are meant to feed people, not greed!!!
"Itís Not What You Look At That Matters, Itís What You See...Freedom Disappears Under The Dominance Of A Bad Habit...It Is Not The Land That Is Broken, But Our Relationship To Land"

gmuller

• Bendigo, Australia. 515mm rain - if we are lucky
    • View Profile
    • Useful Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: 2019-01-21, 02:00:42 AM »
Hi @gratefulseedsaver, for tomatoe shelf life, have you looked at the qualities of the Italian storage tomatoes, like Piennolo del Vesuvio? last 6 months on picked trusses.
G

gratefulseedsaver

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: 2019-01-21, 05:50:37 AM »
No I havenít looked into the Italian varieties that you mentioned. Iím not really looking for Ďstorageí length per se. Iím working more for the Ďmarketí consumer kitchen counter shelf life. Iím getting just about a month off of the vine with the two varieties that Iím working on now. I want the shelf life to coincide with their trips to the market, so to speak. Thank You for the information, though. Iíll look into the variety that you mentioned. Thanks again, G!!! Positive Vibrations...Mike
"Itís Not What You Look At That Matters, Itís What You See...Freedom Disappears Under The Dominance Of A Bad Habit...It Is Not The Land That Is Broken, But Our Relationship To Land"