Author Topic: Sharing Seeds Internationally Legally  (Read 563 times)

William S.

• View Profile
Sharing Seeds Internationally Legally
« on: 2019-01-01, 01:03:54 PM »
I am interested in thoughts on the legal importation of seeds. Let's say I wanted to import alot of different varieties of vegetable seed packets from Canada but do everything very properly. I know there is a small lots program with the USDA.

Let's say I want to just take a trip to a nice garden center in Calgary with seed racks (maybe call ahead to make sure they have interesting racks from interesting companies). Could I get a permit to drive up, purchase say $1000 worth of Canadian seed packets, and drive home showing the folks at the border my permit? I don't have any concrete plans I just drool over Canadian seed company offerings. Much as I do companies in Idaho and North Dakota except it's a non issue.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A

Andrew Barney

• Northern Colorado, Semi-Arid Climate, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sharing Seeds Internationally Legally
« Reply #1 on: 2019-01-01, 09:51:51 PM »
A long time ago I got one my best pea varieties from a Canadian company, at that time they still shipped to the U.S., i believe they stopped because of not wanting to fill out customs information. If there was another reason i don't remember. But I've gotten tomato seeds from canada since then in envelopes.

When I request seeds from foreign seed banks they always put something like "seeds for scientific purposes" or some variation on that theme. When i send seeds internationally i pretty much do the same on my customs declarations. They seem to make it fine. I figure that if it is for plant breeding then it is perfectly accurate and truthful.

When shipping to AU I've started trying to mark things with specific Latin scientific names and looking over non allowed lists. But I've only just started doing that.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-01, 09:59:44 PM by Andrew Barney »

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-01-01, 11:23:24 PM »
Yes some do ship to the U.S. and some don't. I suppose those that dont could still be obtained by driving up to Canada with say a permit in hand and driving it back. This isnt really that far fetched for me. My family's farm which my parents live at and I visit sometimes is not far from the Alberta border. Would like to know more about the legal nitty gritty. Seems like it could be important for breeding and subsequent seed selling down the line to have followed all regulations properly. Or maybe not?
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A

gratefulseedsaver

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2019-01-18, 07:40:16 AM »
You need to contact AHPIS branch of USDA and apply for ePermit (PPQ Form 587). It will allow you tosend up to 50 seeds per variety without a phytosanitary certificate. You have to present your ID at your local LRA Office in order to get the Level 2 permit needed for international seed  exportation. Due to the Government Shut-Down youíll probably have to wait. Iíve been waiting 3 weeks to get mine renewed (theyíre good for 3 years) and still havenít even received as much as email from them. Same *** different day for them, though. Red Tape B.S. so BigAg can stay in our pockets. Hope that the info was what you were looking for. Positive Vibrations...
"Itís Not What You Look At That Matters, Itís What You See...Freedom Disappears Under The Dominance Of A Bad Habit...It Is Not The Land That Is Broken, But Our Relationship To Land"

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2019-01-18, 07:49:54 AM »
I wrote them an email and they wrote back with detailed advice. Sounds doable, but not sure I will at this time.