Author Topic: Blighty Toms  (Read 1352 times)

William S.

• View Profile
Re: Blighty Toms
« Reply #15 on: 2020-02-15, 06:22:53 PM »
Skykomish is Bicolor which is yellowish. I need to figure out how bicolor relates to red, yellow, and orange genetically.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Dominic J

• View Profile
    • Lochaber Experimental Hopyard
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: 2020-02-15, 06:30:07 PM »
Yea, I haven't figured it out yet, but I suspect it's probably not the same gene (it typically isn't in other crops I'm more familiar with).

Also, now I'm mad. I went to order Lizzano, and they don't ship to Canada. >:(

If I had my hands on that, and it truly was homozygous, then I could mostly just back-cross a yellow cultivar to it.

Oh hey, look at this page: http://kdcomm.net/~tomato/Tomato/color.html

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2020-02-15, 08:48:47 PM »
Reimer Seeds carries Lizzano, and they ship all over the world.

http://www.reimerseeds.com/

These are the late blight resistant tomatoes that I have seed of.

Geranium Kiss  +
Koralik
Legend
Losetto F1
Chernomor, Reg Lf
Cocktail Crush F1
Crimson Crush F1
Druzba
Ferline F1
Gold Keeper
IPK LYC 859 El Salvador
Iron Lady F1
Little Julia
Make My Day
Matt's Wild Cherry
Oh Happy Day
Sky Reacher
Skykomish

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Dominic J

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2020-02-16, 06:33:59 AM »
Yikes, gotta pick between 5 seeds, or 350USD of frigging seeds.

Guess I'll take a few packets and then harvest my own seeds from them, would have rather get a 50 seed pricing though.

None of these are yellow, right? Even the one with "gold" in the name is more red than yellow imo. Was going to order from Harris, with some Esterina to cross with the Lizzano repeatedly.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2020-02-16, 09:12:39 AM »
For late blight stick with homozygous ph2 ph3 options. Easier on budget as so few.

Make some initial crosses with a few varieties. Start dehybridizing a ph2 ph3 homozygous. Save a lot of seed and do some seed trading with other Canadian breeders for more germplasm. If you have seed saved tomato seed or other seed of interest now you can probably trade.
Western Montana garden, glacial lake Missoula sediment lacustrian silty clay mollisoil sometimes with added sand in places. Zone 6A with 100 to 130 frost free days

Diane Whitehead

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2020-02-16, 09:18:58 AM »
All the hybrids are expensive for just a few seeds, so dehybridizing is a good idea.

Make My Day is an orange heart from Tom Wagner.   Excellent flavour.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters,  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Dominic J

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2020-02-16, 09:32:51 AM »
Harris had better pricing, but they didn't ship international.

There's expensive, and there's expensive. This is 1$ a seed. 1,50$ a seed, if you count shipping. USD.

Ordered it anyways, along with a few other varieties they had in their catalogue. I'll save seeds from the plants, but I just really don't like packets with so few seeds in them. 5... get unlucky, and 3 might not germinate (even if the batch doesn't have a terrible germination score), and then that leaves 2 plants if all get sowed, and then if I get unlucky again and there's a ridiculously late frost or some wild animal decides to dig it up... then I gotta order again, pay shipping again. It's not hundreds of dollars, not going broke over this, I just like ordering more seeds than I plan to use, so if there's a screw-up, or if I want to back-cross to the original, I still have some lying around.

/rant

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2020-02-16, 09:46:56 AM »
Yeah, I ordered some Iron Lady F1 last year. F1 are expensive.

I love that I can save thousands of my own tomato seeds to use and abuse by direct seeding.

William S.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2020-02-16, 02:05:11 PM »
Yes, exactly.  Both the A1 and A2 types are now present in the US, after only the  A2 type being present previously.  Upstate NY was one of two locations in the US to see the A1 mating type (European strain 25) last year, which means it is probably inevitable that it will begin to overwinter in the northern US sometime in the foreseeable future.  That means gene recombination annually at some point, and new strains

http://tioga.cce.cornell.edu/gardening/pests-ipm/late-blight-update

What Nathan said here is important. I've often wondered why Carol says overwintering spore forming multi strain Late Blight is coming so soon. This corroborate's that. It's effectively already here right and now just a matter of time before it marches across the country?
« Last Edit: 2020-02-16, 02:09:20 PM by William S. »