Author Topic: Stabilizing the Walking Onion F1 Hybrid  (Read 1513 times)

Raymondo

• Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stabilizing the Walking Onion F1 Hybrid
« Reply #15 on: 2019-02-28, 12:36:59 AM »
I collected a few seeds from my walking onions just recently. They were growing right next to some potato onions which also flowered and set seed at the same time. Maybe some crossing? The walking onion seeds donít look great but Iíll sow them and keep fingers crossed. Wonít be sowing until spring though (September here).
Ray
Mildly acidic clay loam over clay and ironstone; temperate climate modified by altitude (1000m); avg rainfall 780mm; usually wet summers and dry winters.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2019-03-02, 07:55:02 AM »
Here are the Bloody Run onions or what ever they are, still don't know for sure but they taste like onions, actually they taste great, way better than my old top set onions.  The leaves are very flat but they are hollow, I think. Anyway I planted them with my old top set onions. All four of the larger bulbs are growing and I'v now found about twenty from the little bulbils. I should be able to collect more seeds from the wild patch this year assuming I time it right, it's about an hour's drive to the patch. I'm also of course hoping for some crossing here in the garden.

The picture isn't to scale the old ones are way bigger.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-02, 07:58:40 AM by reed »

Ferdzy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2019-03-02, 08:35:11 AM »
Those look very interesting... I think I would have taken them for a daffodil at this stage.

Richard Watson

• South Island - New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: 2019-03-02, 12:03:20 PM »
Is it quite a darker green too?
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

reed

• Narrow Ridge above the Ohio River zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2019-03-02, 03:07:32 PM »
The do look a lot like daffodils right now and they are lots darker color. I'm anxious to see how they grow.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: 2019-06-03, 11:25:54 PM »
Well finally, after two years of no luck getting any further than the F2 ive got one third generation seedling popping up, hopefully more will show up.
It can stay in the tunnnlhouse till spring
Changeable year round climate with warming winters - just under 500mm average yearly rainfall. 20 years of soil improvements plus sub soil top soil reversal means my garden beds are about half metre deep. Below that is 100's of metres of alluvial out wash from the Southern
alps.

Richard Watson

• View Profile
    • Sentinels Group Seeds
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2019-10-04, 02:08:35 PM »
That seedling died, so that F3 is becoming quite elusive. Oh well, keep trying.
alps.